Let’s celebrate Valentine’s Day in all its glory, buying so called heart shaped balloons, and cook squid stew for the love of love. The taste is marvelous.
- Squid: 200 gm
- Onion: 1 no. (Medium size)
- Tomato: 1no. (Small size)
- Garlic: 6 flake (medium)
- Ginger: 2 inch pieces
- Green chilly: 2 no.
- Dry whole red chilly: 2 no.
- Cumin seed: 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper: 10-15
- Cinnamon: 1 inch piece
- Black cardamom: 1 no. (Crushed)
- Turmeric powder: 1 teaspoon
- Salt: 1 teaspoon (as per taste)
- Cooking oil: 2 tablespoon
- Cleaning and cutting Squid (kanava fish):
- Wash the squid, hold the tentacles and pull the inner part of the squid body, the head part get detached. Discard the inner part. As shown in the photo.
- You will see the transparent quill (cuttle bone) like structure inside the body, pull out and discard this.
- Grab the two fins(wings) of the squid, strapping the skin(membrane) off, it comes out very easily as shown in the photo, wash and clean inside if there is any left over. Cut the fish as your desired shape either ring or square shape. Again wash it and keep aside.
- Peel off and chop the garlic and ginger, make fine paste keep aside.
- Cut onion into fine slices longitudinally, cut green chili and tomatoes into small pieces. Keep aside.
- Take a pressure cooker, put squid (kanava fish), sliced onion, garlic, ginger, green chili, salt, turmeric powder and 1 tablespoon of oil. Mix all ingredients with 1 cup of water, close the lid and Bring to full cooking pressure reduce to low flame and cook for 4-5 minutes. Allow cooker to cool.
- Take a fry pan. Put rest of oil in it, add panch phoran (Cumin, Fennel seed, Black mustard seed, Fenugreek seed, Onion seed), Garam masala (Cumin seed, Black pepper, Cinnamon, cardamom, crushed cardamom and star anise) and dry whole red chili.
- Fry for few seconds, then add chopped tomatoes; fry tomatoes till oil leaves from sides (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add green chili and boiled squid; fry it till liquid dries up, decorate with green coriander and sliced onion.
- Squid stew is ready to be served with steamed rice and dal in the lunch or any meal as you wish.