- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 15 minutes.
- Rolling time: 2 minutes.
- Cooking time: 4 minutes each.
- Total time: 21 minutes.
Aki Roti is a perfect breakfast or brunch option for me on weekend, this is one of the popular authentic and staple breakfasts from Karnataka cuisine; made from rice flour and vegetables. This is mildly spiced bread, can be served hot along with chutney and dash of butter/ghee.
- Rice flour: 3 cups
- Chana dal: 2 tablespoon
- Spring onion: 50 gm.
- Carrot: 1 no. (medium)
- Onion: 1 no. (Small)
- Fresh coconut: ½ cup
- Ginger: 2” piece
- Salt: 1 teaspoon (as per taste)
- Green chili: 1-2(as per taste)
- Fresh coriander leaves: 2 tablespoon
- Hot water: 3 cups
- Soak Chana dal for about 30 minutes (minimum), keep aside.
- Great carrot and ginger, keep aside.
- Chop onion, spring onion, green chili and carrot leaf (which came with carrot), keep aside.
- Take a wide vessel, put flour; add all ingredients, mix well. Knead the mixture with help of hot water by putting it in small quantity. You can knead this in food processor too. Dough is ready (kneading dough with hot water is easy in food processor).
- Divide the dough into 7-8 parts with wet hand; here I made Roti to roll out on the cooking sheet with help of damp fingers as shown in the photo. (It will be approximately twice thicker than normal chapatti).
- Take a tawa (griddle), when it becomes hot (a bit hotter); Place the rolled Roti on this. Cook for a minute till it changes the color (should be ¼ cooked), Turn the other side and cook it (this should be little more cooked than the 1st side), brown spot should be visible.
- Apply ghee both sides and turn it again and cook on medium low flame. Now “Aki Roti (Indian Rice Bread with Vegetables)” is ready, it can be served with “onion tomato chutney”or“Coconut chutney”