- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 20 minutes.
- Deep frying onion and potatoes time: 15 minutes.
- Cooking chicken time: 25 minutes.
- Layering time: 4 minutes.
- Biryani on dum time: 8-10 minutes
- Total time: 74 minutes.
Come on everybody. It’s a special day when family and friends come to visit us we want to put all efforts to serve the delicious meal, let’s learn how to prepare “Chicken Biryani”.
This “Chicken Biryani” is dosed with hint of lemon, mint leaves and dash of green chili for layering; at the serving time top it with boiled egg, it makes the dish more appealing. Try once you will be hooked for lifetime.
Serve with onion raita…
For preparing chicken:
- Chicken: 500 gm
- Egg: 4 no.
- Yogurt/ Curd: 100 gm. (half cup)
- Potato: 100-150 gm
- Onion: 200 gm
- Tomato: 100-150 gm. (1 no. medium size)
- Chili flakes: 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder: ½ teaspoon
- Coriander powder: 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder: ¼ teaspoon
- Bay leaves: 1 no.
- Cloves: 4 no.
- Biryani masala powder: 3 tablespoon
- Garlic: 4-5 cloves
- Ginger: 2”piece
- Green chili: 2 no.
- Mustard oil/ cooking oil: 2 tablespoon.
- Salt: 1 tablespoon (as per taste)
- Cumin: 1 teaspoon
- Ghee: 200 gm (for deep frying the onion)
- Clean and wash chicken, keep aside.
- Prepare wet masala with ginger, garlic and 2 no. of green chilies, keep aside.
- Marinate chicken with curd, wet masala, Biryani masala powder for minimum half an hour.
- Chop onion and tomato longitudinally, keep aside.
- Deep fry 150 gm of onion on high flame in ghee until gets light brown and crisp. (Fry it into small batches. (Do not put all the slices at a time. It will become messy), keep aside.
- Deep fry potatoes on medium flame until golden layer appears (2-3 minutes), keep aside
- In a wok (kadahi) heat 3 tablespoon of ghee; Put cumin, clove, bay leaf, cardamom and cinnamon, sputter for few seconds; add onion and saute on high flame until it gets translucent (about couple of minutes).
- Add marinated chicken; stir fry on medium flame for 4-5 minutes; reduce to low heat and continue to cook for about 7-8 minutes with lid on, add chopped tomato, turmeric powder, coriander powder, chili flakes, fried potatoes and half quantity of deep-fried onion; continue to cook with lid on until tomato gets messy in appearance and oil separates from masala, chicken is done (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add Garam masala powder, chicken is ready to be used for layering Biryani, keep aside.
For preparing rice:
- Basmati (Biryani) rice: 300 gm
- Bay leaf: 1 no.
- Clove: 4-5 no.
- Cinnamon: 2 inch stick
- Green cardamom: 4-5 no.
- Black cardamom: 1 no.
- Mace: 2 inch piece
- Water: 1000 ml
Preparation for making rice:
- Clean and wash rice. Keep aside in a sieve.
For cooking rice:
- Boil water along with bay leaf, both the cardamom, cinnamon, mace and clove; add rice and cook until 80% done, remove water by draining on sieve and transfer into bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of ghee, rice is ready to be used for layering the Biryani, keep aside.
For layering the Biryani:
- Deep Fried onion: 2-3 tablespoon
- Lemon slices: ½ no.
- Mint leaf: 10-15 no.
- Green chili Julian: 2 no.
- Take a large heavy bottom pot with fitting lid; in this recipe I used pressure cooker, coat ghee to the bottom and inner side walls of cooker.
- Put half of cooked rice; spread half of the fried onion, green chili Julian, mint leaves and lemon slices.
- Pour prepared chicken over the rice layer.
- Add remains half of cooked rice; spread another half fried onion, green chili Julian, mint leaves and lemon slices. Cover the pot with lid properly.
- Place the pressure cooker on low flame for about 4-5 minutes or until rice done; put off the flame.
- Let it cool for 10-15 minutes; stir with fork (do-not use spoon) and transfer to serving plates.
- Delicious and aromatic Biryani is ready to be served with onion raita and salad.
- Note: make sure pan is heavy bottomed otherwise it will burn.