- Servings: 2
- Preparation time: 2 minutes.
- Roasting time: 5 minutes.
- Seasoning time: 3 minutes.
- Total time: 10 minutes.
Makhane is a water plant mainly cultivated for its edible seeds (after popping, it is called Makhane in Hindi or Fox nut in English). It is treated as dry fruits, by itself has very-very mild flavour and taste; it can easily absorb any flavour. Ghee roasted Makhane is super quick munching snacks for our family to enjoy at the time of watching TV. It is really a very healthy option for your children at snacking time and good option to carry afternoon sacks for office.
Makhane is very healthy and nutritious high in fiber helps to remove constipation helps to flush- out toxins from the body. I would like to share, how to roast Makhane with different flavours; enjoy…
Below is the recipe of ghee roasted “Makhane (Fox nut) Fry with South Indian Masala Flavour”; it is crunchy, yummy, amazing and delicious…
- Makhane: 50 gm
- Ghee: 40-50 gm (you can add less or more amount of ghee as per your wish)
- Salt: ½ teaspoon
- Sāmbhar powder: ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric powder: 1 pinch
- Asafoetida powder: 1 pinch
- Curry leaves: 8-10 no.
- Dry roast the Makhane on lower flame till it gets crisp (about 5 minutes); you may roast in OTG or air fryer. While staying in Tokyo, I have only fish griller here, so I used here in fish griller for dry roasting
- Take a heavy bottom pan. Put ghee; add curry leaves and all masala powder, after few seconds add roasted Makhane keep stirring and fry on lower flame till it become crisp(about 2-3 minutes)
- “Makhane (Fox nut) Fry with South Indian Masala Flavour” is ready to be served; you may serve with tea or milk/ turmeric milk.
- Note: To enjoy the variation in flavour, you can try following combinations:
- You can add just black pepper and salt.
- You can add roasted cumin powder and asafoetida.
- You can add even Maggi masala.
- You can add citric acid and Pudina powder.
- You can add chilli flakes and oregano.