- Servings: 4-5
- Pricked potato time: 10 minutes.
- Marinated time: 2 hours.
- Preparation time: 8 minutes.
- Frying potato time: 5 minutes
- Frying time: 15 minutes.
- Cooking time: 6-7 minutes.
- Total time: 45 minutes.
India is known for its delicious curry dishes; even in first day of our Japanese class in Tokyo, teacher asked me that how Indians prepare so many variety of curry like green curry, red curry, white curry…one of the most colorful and tasty variety of dishes…
That very moment I was feeling so proud of my country that Indian food have not only curry but offers endless variety of food.
“Mugalai Aaloo (potato)” curry is a delicious Nababi recipe; have lots of dried fruits, nuts and spices. Try this weekend giving break to vegetables or dal (lentil).
- Potato (Aaloo): 500 gm
- Yogurt/Curd: 100 gm
- Kashmiri chili powder: 1 tablespoon
- Coriander powder: 1 tablespoon
- Onion: 2 no. (Medium)
- Tomato: 2 no. (Small)
- Ginger: 2” piece
- Garlic paste: 1 teaspoon
- Almond: 15-20 no.
- Cashew nut: 20-25 no.
- Poppy seed (Khus-Khus): 2 tablespoon
- Green chili: 3-4 no.
- Fresh/ dry coconut: 2 tablespoon
- Salt: 1 tablespoon
- Garam masala powder: ½ teaspoon
- Cumin: 1 teaspoon
- Ghee: 200 gm.
- Oil: 1 tablespoon
- Clove: 2-3 no.
- Green cardamom: 5-6 no.
- Black cardamom: 2 no.
- Cinnamon: 2”stick
- Kewada essence: 3-4 drop (optional)
- Chop ginger in Julian, keep aside.
- Grind poppy seed, 8 no. of cashew nut, green cardamom and green chili and make fine paste. (First grind dry poppy seed, and then add water and other ingredients). Keep aside.
- Peel off potatoes, and prick it all over with help of fork, keep this into water.
- Blend curd and put into big bowl, add Kashmiri chili powder, garlic paste, pricked potato and mix, leave it for about 2 hours to marinate.
- Slice onion longitudinally, deep fry on high flame till it gets light brown (Fry it into small batches). Do not put all the slices at a time, it will become messy. Remove and spread it to avoid lumping.
- Fry cashew nut and almond on low flame, keep aside.
- Take out potatoes from the marinated yogurt mixture; deep fry them on medium flame until golden color (about 4-5 minutes) remove it. (Take out some ghee if there is more, only 3 tablespoon ghee to be used for making gravy)
- Put both black and green cardamom, cinnamon, cumin and bay leaf, sputter for few second, add ginger, stir fry on low flame for few seconds; add prepared paste, continue to fry on lower flame until gets golden in color ( about 5-6 minutes).
- Add left over marinated yogurt mixture; continue to fry for 3-4 minutes or till ghee is separated from masala, add deep fried potatoes, stir fry for couple of minutes, add 1 cup of water, cover the pan. Cook for about 5-6 minutes.
- Add prepared fried onion, fried almond and cashew nut; boil and put off the flame, add Garam masala powder and kewada essence. Transfer into serving bowl decorates with mint leaves and sliced onion.
- “Mugalai Aaloo (potato)” is ready to be served along with dost paratha, cumin rice or naan.