- Servings: 3-4
- Preparation time: 10 minutes.
- Cooking time: 14-16 minutes.
- Total time: 26 minutes.
There are so many ways to prepare “Gilki(Lufa Gourd), can you name them all? Do write to me in the comment section. Today’s recipe is “Phoran wala Gilki (Sponge Gourd with Panch Phoran)” a well known recipe.
It is also called ‘Nenua’, ‘Toori/ Torai in Hindi, Torayam in Sindhi, Ghosavala in Marathi; considered one of the very healthy and easy to digest.
We don’t need much spices to add while cooking, it brings wonderful, flavourful, mild and sweet taste just itself.
Do try the dish, serve with ghee (clarified butter) smeared chapatis and do share your pictures…
- Gilki turai: 500 gm
- Onion: 1 no (medium)
- Whole Red chilli: 1no.
- Panch Phoran: half teaspoon
- Turmeric powder: half teaspoon
- Salt: 1 teaspoon (as per taste)
- Ghee/oil: 2 tablespoon
- Peel and cut the Gilki in thin slices.
- Chop the onion in thin slices.
- Take a fry pan. Heat oil and add panch phoren, whole red chilli, sputter for few seconds; add sliced onion, stir fry for couple of minutes on high flame or until it turns translucent .
- Add sliced Gilki continue to stir for 3-4 minutes; cover and cook on medium low flame for 4-5 minutes or till it is done.
- Open the cover and cook on high flame until it reaches your required consistency (liquid dries up).
- “Phoran wala Gilki(Sponge Gourd with Panch Phoran)” ready to serve.
- Serve hot with “Chapatti“or “Dost Paratha“.