You can prepare delectable recipe for your baby; yummy and healthier version than biscuit, highly pleasing, especially in the context of taste …
‘Roat (Thick ghee roasts sweet flat bread/Roti)’ is an authentic delicacy from Bihar. It is prepared on many occasions like wedding function, Shitala saptmi and Ramnavmi festival.
My grand-mother used to make this on deshi chulah but on Gas stove also it can be made. I love the texture as it is crisp on outside and soft inside, made from Gur (Jeggery) and Aata (Wheat flour).
In Sindhi cuisine it is called ‘Mittho lolo’. It is popular in Utterakhand and Jharkhand too.
- Aata (Wheat flour): 300 gm (2 cups)
- Jaggery: 150 – 200 gm.
- Green cardamom powder: ½ teaspoon
- Fennel seed: 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Ghee (clarified butter): 100 gm (for roasting)
- Ghee (clarified butter): 50 gm. (for moin)
- Dissolve Jaggery with ¼ cup of water; make syrup Keep aside (strain the syrup with thin cloth to remove the impurities of Jaggery).
For making dough:
- Take a wide vessel; pour Aata, ghee (as moin) and green cardamom powder. Mix well by rubbing between palms.
- Add prepared syrup in small quantity and knead them, if required, put some more.
- Make hard dough. (The dough can be made in food processor also), cover and Keep aside, to be used after 10-20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into two parts make ball as shown in photo; roll thick Roti about ¼” with rolling pin.
- Take a tawa (griddle), when it becomes hot; reduce the flame to minimum. Place the rolled Roti and make cut marks all over the Roti with knife so that it will cook properly.
- Cook till it changes the color it will take ~5-7 minutes. Now turn the other side and cook till it changes the color other sides also, apply ghee lavishly and turn it again.
- Note: Apply ghee on both sides and cook on low flame. It has to be very slow cooking process.