- Servings: 3-4
- Soaking time: 1-5 hours.
- Boiling Potatoes time: 10 minutes.
- Preparation time: 2-3 minutes.
- Frying time:4-5 minutes.
- Total time: 18 minutes.
Today we had mouthwatering deep fried ‘Aaloo-Sabudana Tikka/Pakoda (Potato-Sago/Tapioca Pearl Fritters)’ for afternoon tea and it was so yummy I wished to eat more and more with the tomato sauce. I don’t want to overeat but… I really enjoyed a lot, it is light to the stomach. This is the variation of authentic Maharashtrian cuisine sabu vada.
You can prepare this on fasting days, just skip some ingredients which need to be avoided while fasting, like red chilli powder, garam masala etc.
- Aaloo/Potato: 250 gm.
- Sabudana (Sago/Tapioca Pearl): 50 gm.
- Cumin powder: 1 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves: half cup (cut in small pieces)
- Ginger: 1teaspoon (Chop into small pieces)
- Green chilli: 2-3(Chop into small pieces)
- Red chilli powder: ¼ teaspoon
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Roasted Cumin Powder: ½ teaspoon
- Coriander Leaves: 2 tablespoon (chopped)
- Garam Masala Powder: ¼ teaspoon
- Cooking oil: for deep frying
- Soak sabudana with levelled water about 1 hours (if small pearl) if pearl is big soak about 4-5 hours or overnight. Sabudana pearl is done or not to check this press one pearl with fingertips, if it get mashed, means it is ready.
- Chop green chilli and coriander leaves into fine, keep aside.
- Boil potatoes, peel and grate (mash) it; take a big mixing bowl. Put potato, salt, ginger, green chilli, coriander leaves, cumin powder, chilli powder, Garam masala powder and soaked sago, mix them well.
- Now take one handful mix; make the mixture into flat round shape by using your palm (Tikka/ Tikki shape), repeat it, with all the mixture.
- Deep fry this Tikka on medium to high flame, till both sides become golden brown in colour; place it on paper napkin to absorb excess oil.
- Now, “Aaloo-Sabudana Tikka/Pakoda (Potato-Sago/Tapioca Pearl Fritters)” is ready to be served. Serve with “Green Chutney” or “Tomato Ketchup”.