- Servings: 3-4
- Preparation time: 5-7 minutes.
- Boiling time:6-7 minutes.
- Frying time: 9 minutes.
- Total time: 23 minutes.
“Bada Sem/Mkkhan Sem (Sword beans/Canavalia gladiata)” is not going to be easy to find fresh beans, because it is not grown commercially. It is specially available in farmer’s market only or you can grow in your kitchen garden. In India it is available in Maharashtra, Kerala, Bihar, central and south central parts of India.
My grandmother love a lot to grow the exotic plant of this sword beans in our kitchen garden. She used to give the supports behind each plants, because it is a creeper. She used to pluck young tender seed pods used as vegetable. Today’s recipe is from my grandma’s kitchen.
In Japan and Korea, the Sword beans are somewhat of wonder food. It has medicinal value since ages, so it is recommended that consume it in moderate quantities.
It is called Abay/Abai/Chopdi in Marathi, Vaal Payara in Malyalam, Aasishimbi/Mahashimbi in Sanskrit. What we know that beans are good source of protein, fiber, vitamins much more…
- Bada Sem/Makkhan Sem(Sword beans/Canavalia gladiata): 200 gm (tender)
- Aaloo (Potato): 1 no.(optional)
- Garlic paste: 1 teaspoon.
- Cumin: half teaspoon
- Poppy seed: 1 tablespoon
- Melon seed: 1 tablespoon
- Red chilli powder: 1 teaspoon.
- Coriander powder: 1 teaspoon.
- Garam Masala Powder: 1/4 teaspoon.
- Salt: one teaspoon
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 teaspoon
- Dry mango powder (optional): 1 teaspoon
- Mustard oil/olive oil: 2 tablespoon
- Trim the both ends of the Sem, remove Strings from both side of beans, shown in photo.
- Split into two, discard the inner white layer in between (They are thin but tough and transparent sheet like plastic paper) inside this pod, cut into small pieces, steam/ microwave them, keep aside.
- Wash and peel off the potato; Chop potato into small pieces, steam/ microwave them, keep aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoon of oil in a heavy bottom pan; add cumin, poppy seed and melon seed, sputter for few seconds add a pinch of turmeric powder.
- Add garlic paste; stir fry on medium low flame for about 30 seconds, add powder masala and salt, stir.
- Add steamed Sem and potato, stir fry on medium low flame for 3-4 minutes with lid on (stir in between so that it don’t stick into bottom). Put off the flame.
- Delicious “Bada Sem/Mkkhan Sem(Sword beans/Canavalia gladiata) ki Sabji/Sabzi”is ready to serve.
- It is served with paratha or rice as a side dish.