- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation time: 10 minutes.
- Boiling time: 10 minutes.
- Making cutlet time: 10 minutes.
- Frying time:3-4 minutes( each batch)
- Total time: 34 minutes.
Yummy Banana flower cutlet is ready and good for evening snacks, otherwise as you wish, for tea time or any time for children as well as adult.
Do you know banana plant is the largest plant on the earth in the group of herbs? It is actually called giant herbs. The tender banana leaves are used as plate for eating, tender banana stem is used as juice and vegetables. Banana flower looks very beautiful. It is called ‘banana heart’. It is excellent food, rich in many nutrients and iron. It is a super food for women, especially for nourishing mother.
- Banana flower: 1 no (Medium size)
- Potatoes: 3-4 no. (Medium size)
- Onion: 1 no. (Medium size)
- Ginger: 2” pieces
- Green chili: 2 no.
- Kalongi (onion seed): ¼ spoons
- Salt: half teaspoon
- Poppy seed: 1 tablespoon
- Roasted cumin powder: ½ teaspoon
- Chat masala: ½ teaspoon
- Bread crumbs: ½ cup
- Maida (all purpose flour): 2 tablespoon
- Oil: for deep frying
- Remove outer layer of banana flower till white layer comes.
- Keep bunch of flower aside.
- Remove hard stem from each flower. Cut each bunch very fine pieces.
- Put all cutting into a bowl filled with water (otherwise it will turn dark brown as it contains lot of iron)
- Cook and boil this banana flower till it become soft. (We can do it in the cooker or microwave)
- Strain water with the help of strainer. Keep aside.
- Boil potatoes, peel off and mash the potatoes, keep aside.
- Chop onion, green chili and ginger into small pieces, keep aside.
- Take a bowl, put Maida and a pinch of salt, make smooth batter, and keep aside.
For making cutlet batter:
- Take a mixing bowl, put boiled banana flower, mashed potato, ginger, green chili, poppy seed, onion, salt chat masala, Kalongi and cumin powder, Mix properly, now cutlet dough is ready to make cutlet.
- Divide this batter into 10-12 parts to make lemon size ball.
- Make heart shape or round shape with help of mould and press with palm to get shape as shown in photo. Keep aside.
To dip fries the cutlet:
- Take fry pan, heat oil in it, Let oil to smoke. Pour a drop of batter into the oil.
- If batter comes up, it means right temperature of oil otherwise wait for a while and test again.
- After getting right temperature of oil, dip the prepared cutlet into smooth batter, roll this into bread crumbs and fry all cutlets to high flame till golden brown. Take out the fried cutlet into the serving dish.
- Repeat this till all batter is finished.