- Servings: 4
- Boiling time: 10 minutes.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes.
- Frying time: 9 minutes.
- Cooking time: 6 minutes.
- Total time: 35 minutes.
Himachal Pradesh is northern mountainous state of India; famous for rich in tradition, culture, dress, language and of course its cuisine. The food is different in taste, variety and style of cooking from rest of the India. It is known as apple bowl of India.
Here is the “Himachali Aaloo” (Potato with Apple) recipe, flavourful and delicious; right now it is in my kitchen and then on your dining table, must try recipe…
Apple naturally softens, supple and nourishes skin; it tones and restores the natural glow of the skin.
- Potato: 400 gm
- Onion: 1 no. (Medium)
- Green apple: 200 gm
- Ginger: 2” piece
- Bell pepper/capsicum: 2 no. (Red, green, yellow)
- Turmeric powder: 1 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder: 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder: 2 teaspoon
- Salt: 2 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder: 1 teaspoon
- Cumin: 1 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves: 2 tablespoon
- Green chilli: 2-3 no.
- Kismis (dry grapes): 15-20 no.
- Kaju (Cashew nut): 15-20 no.
- Ghee /any cooking oil: 4-5 tablespoon
- Boil and chop potatoes, keep aside.
- Grate ginger, keep aside.
- Chop onion longitudinally, keep aside.
- Chop bell pepper longitudinally; keep aside (in the recipe I used frozen).
- Slit green chilli, keep aside.
- Peel off and grate apple just before use, otherwise it turns black.
- In heavy bottom pan heat ghee; when starts to smokes, put cumin add chopped onion, stir fry on high flame till gets translucent( about 3 minutes).
- Add grated apple and ginger; stir fry on medium flame for couple of minutes until it turns into light pink colour (keep it stirring otherwise it may burn).
- Add chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt along with ½ cup of water; continue to cook with lid on for couple of minutes or till oil separates from the masala.
- Add Garam masala, potatoes and bell pepper stir it; cook on lower flame for 2-3 minutes, add dry fruits (Kismis and Kaju) and green chilli, put off the flame.
- Now, “Himachali Aaloo (Potato with Apple)” is ready; decorate with green coriander leaves and dry fruits just before serving.
- Serve with fluffy puries or rice.
Himachali Aaloo(Potato with Apple) by Nag Ratna Sahu is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.