- Servings: 3-4
- Preparation time: 5-6 minutes.
- Serving time: 2-3 minutes.
- Total time: 9 minutes.
Last Sunday when I returned from Postoffice; I saw an old lady selling jamun outside vegetable Market…aha! It is season of Jamun, mumbled myself…afterward Mumbai markets were flooded with this lovely, dark purple, sweet and tangy fruits.
For me it is pleasure to bite ripe Jamun. It is very tempting…Omg I love exotic, flavourful tangy fruits sprinkled with kala namak(Black Rock Salt), coloured teeth and tongue brought back many memories…
Do you know Jamun tree lives in excess of 100 years and Jamun is called fruit of God’s? It is a holy tree in Buddhism and its description is found in Hindu epic Ramayana.
Jamun is used as an ayurvedic medicine to treat Anemia, heart problems, constipation, etc.
Now a days people are obsessed with superfood and exotic food, every summer I always obsessed with this purple magic.
This season I would like to upload homemade “Kaala-Khatta juice” which I often prepared when I have large quantity of Jamun (Jamboophalum in Sanskrit). A summer treat, a refreshing and cooling drink with goodness of vitamins and minerals. It gives extremely soothing and cooling effects too.
For concentrated juice:
- Jamun/ Java Fruit (Indian Blackberry): 250 gm.
- Sugar: 1 cup
- Water: 1/2 cup
- Water/ Soda water:as per requirement.
- Black Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Roasted Cumin Powder:1 teaspoon
- Lemon: 1 no.
- Mint leaves: 10-12.
- Chop Jamun, discard the seed, blend with sugar, salt and water, pass through stainer, keep aside.
- Take a serving glass filled with ice cube pore strained thick juice add soda or chilled water (as per your choice); add black salt and cumin powder, stir, garnish with mint leaves and lemon slices.
- A dark purple coloured yummy juice is ready to be served; which is sweet, tangy and a bit of sour that soothes up our soul in the burning sun.