- Servings: 1
- Marinating time: 8-10 minutes.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes.
- Frying time: 4 minutes.
- Cooking time: 13 minutes.
- Total time: 27 minutes.
One of my Pakistani friend visited to my house for evening tea in Tokyo, Japan; I served pui saag (Malabar spinach) Pakoda (fritters) followed with cardamom milk-tea. They enjoyed the fritters most and told that they never eaten Malabar spinach fritters before; rather they used to cook it with prawn, that very moment I decided to cook this recipe and post it.
Prawn are one of the most popular seafood consumed all over the world, as it contains huge amount of protein, Malabar spinach is also full of nutrients even almost double in comparison to spinach. In my opinion mingling of this two comes out awesome in taste and nutrition.
‘Prawn (Chingri) with Pui/poi Saag (Malabar Spinach with Prawn)’ is also one of the traditional side dish from Bengali cuisine; they pair it with steamed rice, called it ‘Chingri machh diye pui shag’
- Pui Saag (Malabar Spinach): 50-60 gm
- Prawn: 100-150 gm.
- Green chilli: 1-2 no.
- Onion: 1 no. (Medium)
- Tomato: 1 no. (Small)
- Garlic: 3-4 flakes
- Ginger: 2” piece
- Mustard oil: 2 tablespoon
- Cumin: ½ teaspoon
- Red chilli: 1 no.
- Turmeric powder: ¼ teaspoon
- Chilli powder: ½ teaspoon
- Coriander powder: ½ teaspoon
- Garam masala powder: ¼ teaspoon
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- De -vein prawn if they are not already done so. I used here that is already done.
- Marinate prawn with salt and turmeric powder for 15-20 minutes, keep aside.
- Grind garlic, ginger and green chilli to fine paste, keep aside.
- Chop tomato, keep aside.
- Finely chop Pui leaves and soft stem (discard hard stem) as well as onion, Keep aside.
- Take fry pan/ wok, put oil and heat, when it smokes add prawn; stir fry on medium low flame till gets pinkish golden in colour, take out, keep aside( about 3-4 minutes).
- Put cumin and red chilli into the same pan, sputter for few seconds; add chopped onion stir fry for couple of minutes on high flame; add chopped tomato, stir fry for couple of minutes, add prepared paste and salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder and chilli powder(keep it stirring otherwise it may burn). Fry on medium flame till oil separates from masala.
- Add fried prawn and chopped pui saag; stir fry till it is done (about 2-3 minutes) on medium flame. Put off the flame, add Garam masala powder.
- Now,” Prawn with Pui Saag (Malabar Spinach with Prawn)” is ready. Transfer into serving bowl, serve with rice or bread .