- Servings: 2-3
- Soaking time: 6 hours
- Preparation time: 3 minutes.
- Frying time: 11 minutes.
- Cooking time: 8 minutes.
- Seasoning/tadka time: 2 minute
- Total time: 24 minutes.
Dal is staple food of Indian and Indian continent; and every region has its own verities and deliciousness.
The recipe ‘Sabut Mung tadka (Whole green gram fry)’is suitable for casual dining as well as for special occasion too.
Mung dal is packed with protein, rich in potassium and iron; protect against muscles cramping, and great food for those suffering from hypertension.
- Sabut Mung (Whole green gram): 150 gm.
- Onion: 1 no. (Medium)
- Tomato: 2-3 no. (Medium)
- Green chili: 2-3 no.
- Red chili powder: 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder: half teaspoon
- Ginger: 2”piece
- Garlic: 3-4 cloves
- Cumin seed: 2 teaspoon
- Whole Garam masala: (Black cardamom: 1 no, Green cardamom: 1 no. Clove: 3-4 no, Black pepper: 10-12 no, Cinnamon stick: 1 inch)
- Bay leaf: 2 no.
- Salt: 2 teaspoon
- Whole Red chili: 1 no.
- Cooking oil: 1 teaspoon
- Ghee: 50 gm.
- Garam masala powder: ¼ teaspoon
- Green coriander: 1 table spoon
- Soak green gram, minimum 6 hours or overnight, keep aside.
- Chop tomato, onion, green chili and garlic, keep aside.
- Grate ginger, keep aside.
Take pressure cooker heat half quantity of ghee; add whole Garam masala and Bay leaf, sputter it for few seconds; add grated ginger and garlic, fry for few seconds, add chopped onion and green chili; fry it on medium flame till onion turns translucent (3-4 minutes).
Add chopped tomatoes, salt and turmeric powder; stir-fry till tomato gets messy in appearance (Two minutes). Add soaked Mung, stir fry for couple of minutes at medium flame; add 3 cups of water, Bring to full cooking pressure, reduce to low flame and cook for 2-3 minutes. Put off the flame, allow cooker to cool and open, add Garam masala and cover the lid, transfer into serving bowl after 2-3 minutes.
Take a fry pan, put remaining ghee, put cumin seed, when it crackle put off the stove; add chili powder and pour on the dal in serving bowl.
One important suggestion; don’t mix tadka completely with dal, garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves. ‘Sabut Mung tadka (Whole green gram fry)’ is ready to be served.