- Servings: 2
- Preparation Dough time: 7-8 minutes.
- Preparing raw Thekua time: 8-9 minutes.
- Frying time: 10-12 minutes(each batch).
- Total time: 29 minutes.
Due to corona pandemic I was missing out one of the biggest auspicious Pooja which is dedicated to sun God observed by people of Bihar, Utter Pradesh and Nepal. In lockdown there was desire to eat chhath Pooja Prasad, we really missed it, and decided to prepare the recipe and feel positive happy vibes.
- Wheat Aata: 500gm. ( a bit coarse flour is better)
- Jaggery (grated): 200-300gm (as per your taste).
- Water: ½ cup
- Ghee (clarified butter): for deep frying
- Ghee (clarified butter): 50 gm (for moin that is put into dough itself).
- Clove powder: ½ teaspoon (optional)
- Saunf (Fennel seed): 1 teaspoon
- Green cardamom powder: half teaspoon
- Grated coconut: 1 tablespoon (optional)
- Dry grapes: 1 tablespoon (optional)
For making dough:
- Take a wide vessel; pour Aata, ghee (as moin), Mix well by rubbing between palms.
- Add Clove powder, Saunf, Green cardamom, dry grapes and Dry coconut add jaggery and knead them with help of water, prepare hard dough, don’t allow it to become soft, (The dough can be made in food processor also). Cover and Keep aside, to be used after 10-20 minutes.
- Take a handful of dough or divide the dough into 17-18 parts and shape as shown in photo (like tikka) by pressing in your fist.
- Put the tikka on the Thekua mold; press the tikka with palm as shown in photo raw Thekua is ready, repeat this till all dough is finished.
- Take a heavy bottom deep fry pan, put ghee and heat it on medium flame; when smoke just starts to come from ghee (clarified butter) put 6-8 no of raw Thekua ( depending upon the quantity of ghee).
- Deep fry the Thekua on medium low heat till golden brown; slowly turn over all the Thekua, Fry till it becomes golden brown.
- Take out on the kitchen napkin; repeat this till all is finished; now, traditional, crispy, popular homemade desert from Bihar is ready, nutritious for children and all age group.
- It can be stored for 2-3 weeks, keep it into airtight container.