- Servings: 2-3
- Preparation time: 3-4minutes.
- Frying time: 10-12 minutes.
- Cooking time: 7-8 minutes.
- Total time: 24 minutes.
Millets are ancient grains which had been grown and used for food from ages, exclusively in India. Mankind knows its nutritional values for centuries…
Every Dietitian and nutritionists advice for remarkable benefits of millets. Little Millets (Panicum Sumatrans) is one of them and doctors advice to consume little millets as healthier alternative to rice and wheat.
Little millet is rich in magnesium which improves heart health. It is also good for reducing the cholesterol and for detoxification of body and has many more benefits.
“Little Millet Upma” is simple and healthy diet for old age; can be wholesome breakfast or dinner dish, nice way to use millet.
I hope it is surely an interesting and yummy recipe for all of you; in which I included vegetables and nuts to make it more nutritious and colourful.
- Little Millet: 100 gm.
- Potato: 1no. (Medium size)
- Fresh/ Frozen Peas: 50 gm.
- Peanut: 2 tablespoons
- Ginger: 1” piece
- Green chilli: 1. no.
- Lemon juice: 1 tablespoon.
- Curry leaves: 10-12 no.
- White rock salt: 1/2 teaspoon
- Ghee: 2 tablespoon
- Black pepper powder: 1/2 teaspoon
- Sugar: half teaspoon (optional).
- Water: 200 ml.
- Clean and wash little millet. Keep aside in a sieve to get rid of extra water.
- Chop potato into small cubes.
- Chop ginger into small pieces.
- Slit green chilli, keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan; add peanuts, stir fry for couple of minutes on low flame or until light brown in colour.
- Add chopped potatoes and ginger; continue to fry for 2-3 minutes on medium flame or until potatoes is half done, add peas, slitted chilli and curry leaves, continue to cook for couple of minutes.
- Add washed millet, stir fry for a minute or two, the moment some of millet begins to change colour; add water and salt.
- Cook on high flame with lid on for couple of minutes, lower the flame, continue to cook until millet absorbs all water(4-5 minutes). Put off the flame, add black pepper powder and lemon juice “Little Millet Upma” is ready.
- Transfer into serving plates, decorate with pomegranate arils and apple slices.
- You can use rice cooker/pressure cooker.