- Servings: 4.
- Preparation time: 5 minutes.
- Frying time: 10 minutes..
- Total time: 15 minutes.
Sun is blazing hot these days in Tokyo; my balcony pot plant has been growing well, touch wood so far I already cooked it few times “Pumpkin-leaf Fritters” and “Pumpkin-leaf roll curry” and it is already started to giving buds and hope it blooms and bears fruits after few days. This time, when I made fritters from the pumpkin leaves; I decided to make a post.
Pumpkin leaves are good source of iron, vitamin C and B.
- Pumpkin leaves: 8-10 no.
- Garlic paste: ½ teaspoon
- Salt: ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric powder: ¼ teaspoon
- Chili powder: ½ teaspoon
- Ajwain (Carom seed): ¼ teaspoon
- Kalongi (Nigella seed): ¼ teaspoon
- Besan (gram flour): 1 cup
- Sooji/Rava (Semolina): 1 tablespoon
- Til (Sesame seed): 1 ½ tablespoon
- Meetha soda (soda bi carb): 1 pinch (optional)
- Water: ½ cup
- Mustard oil/ Cooking oil: for deep frying
- Clean and dry pumpkin leaves on kitchen towel, keep aside.
- Take a bowl, put all ingredients except pumpkin leaves; make a smooth batter with the help of water.
- Take fry pan, heat oil in it, let oil to smoke. Pour a drop of batter into the oil, If batter comes up slowly, it means right temperature of oil otherwise wait for a while and test again.
- After getting right temperature of oil, dip one leaf in the prepared batter of Besan, fold into 2-3 layer as shown in photo (either directly by hand or spoon), put as many Pakoda as can be accommodated depending upon quantity of oil.
- When they start to come up; turn over. Deep fry till it becomes golden brown on both sides. Remove the Pakoda from oil. Deep fry all leaves (Pakoda).
- Serve hot with evening tea. It can be served with any meal. It goes well with curd-rice. It may be paired with steamed rice and dal.