- Servings: 2-3
- Boiling time: 10 minutes.
- Boiling karhi time: 20-25 minutes.
- Preparation time: 5-6 minutes.
- Frying Aarbi time: 2-3 minutes.
- Seasoning time: 2-3 minutes.
- Total time: 47 minutes.
Karhi is a perfect example of comfort food or light food especially in northern India; it originated from Rajasthan, served with steamed rice or roti.
The taste of recipe varies from region to region with regional change of spices and sometimes ingredient too.
In Utter Pradesh and Bihar it is called “Karhi-vadi” because pakoda (fritters), which is added in kadhi is small vadi and no vegetables are added. In Punjabi kadhi, onion pakoda is added, it is signature winter quick meal too.
Today I am going to share finger licking delicious recipe “Arbi (Taro Root) Karhi” that is a variation of basic or classical one. During summer we wish to eat light and tangy; yogurt gives the perfect soft taste.
You can make variations on this basic dish by including vegetables like Arbi (Taro Root), Okra (Bhindi), Cluster beans (Gwarphalli), Eggplant (Brinjal), Bottle gourd (Lauki) and greens like spinach (Palak), Bathua (Goosefoot) etc.
- Arbi (Taro Root): 2-3 no. (Medium)
- Ajwain (carom seed): ½ teaspoon
- Besan (gram flour): 1 tablespoon
- Curd/yogurt: 1cup (sour)
- Salt: 1 tablespoon
- Water: 2cups
- Turmeric powder: 1 pinch
- Fenugreek seed: ¼ teaspoon
- Asafoetida powder: 2 pinch
- Ghee/ cooking oil: 2 tablespoon
- Green chilli: 2 no.
- Red chilli: 1 no.
- Coriander leaves (chopped): 2 tablespoon
- Garlic shoot: 2 no. (Optional)
- Red chilli powder: 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seed: 1 teaspoon
- Boil Arbi in salted water until 50-60 % done; peel off and chop longitudinally into 4-6 part.
- Beat curd, mix gram flour in a big bowl and blend them thoroughly; ensure that there are no lumps in it. Or (you can mash it with the help of sieve), keep aside.
- Chop garlic shoot, keep aside.
- Slit green chilli, keep aside.
- Take a heavy bottom pan or fry pan, heat oil; add chopped Arbi, stir fry it until golden in colour.
- Add carom seed and fenugreek seed, sputter for few seconds; add prepared mixture of curd and Besan, add salt and turmeric powder in it, bring it to boil and stir continuously, so that it does not cuddle.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes until get desire consistency and stir occasionally.
- Now “Arbi (Taro Root) Kadhi” is ready and it is time for tadka (seasoning).
- Take a small fry pan, put ghee and heat at medium flame, when smoke begins to come, add mustard seed and red chilli, sputter for few seconds, add green chilli, garlic shoot, and stir fry for a minute.
- Put off the flame; add asafoetida and red chilli powder, spread this seasoning all over the Karhi.
- Mouth watering “Arbi (Taro Root) Kadhi” is ready to serve; Serve with steamed rice or jeera rice (cumin rice).