- Servings: 3-4
- Preparation time: 10-12 minutes.
- Deep Frying Onion time: 4-5 minutes.
- Frying time: 15-16 minutes.
- Cooking time: 10-12 minutes.
- Total time: 45 minutes.
After dry dusty Summer turns into Rainy; the weather is gets cloudy, rain going to begin any time. Fish market in Mumbai flooded with variety of Prawns…big and small…
My husband and son drive car to fish market for much needed Prawn for lunch. Due to availability of prawn in this season, I prepared different recipes from Prawn as”Hot Spicy Prawn”, Prawn Curry (with shell), “Prawn (Chingari) with Pui/Poi Saag (Malabar Spinach with Prawn) etc…
Today I am talking about the recipe “Prawn (Jhinga/Chingri) Pulao”. The recipe is Indian style rice dish, where rice is cooked with Prawn and spices… it is one of the perfect wholesome meal option all over India.
Easy to prepare this one pot meal; converted our special day into more special occasion.
The nutritional value of prawn is very high; rich in Protein, Omega3 fatty acid, Vitamin D, etc…
Above all heart friendly…
Enjoy Mumbai ki Barish…
With Prawn Pulao ka swad…
- Basmati rice: 200 gm
- Prawn: 500 gm.
- Egg: 2-3 no.(for decoration)
- Onion: 4 no.(Medium Size)
- Tomato: 1 no.
- Garlic: 1 pod.
- Cashew Nut : 10-12 no.
- Green Chilli: 2-3 no.
- Garam Masala Powder: half teaspoon
- Whole Garam Masala( black Cardamom, Cinnamon, Clove, Bay Leaf)
- Pumpkin Seed: 1 tablespoon
- Ginger: 2” piece
- Cumin: half teaspoon.
- Salt: 1 tablespoon (as per taste)
- Turmeric Powder: 1/2 teaspoon.
- Water: 400 ml (Hot)
- Ghee(clarified Butter)/ Cooking Oil: 100 ml.
- Basmati Leaf (Pandan Leaf): 2-3 no.(optional)
- Clean and wash rice; keep aside (on stainer so that water from rice drain out completely) for 10-15 minutes,
- Slice onion longitudinally. Keep aside.
- Clean and chop ginger and Garlic, keep aside.
- Chop Tomato, keep aside.
- Prepare smooth paste of Pumpkin Seed, half quantity of cashew Nuts, Tomato, Garlic and Ginger, keep aside.
- Boiled eggs, keep aside.
Heat ghee in a Wok/Pan; deep fry half quantity of onion on high flame until gets brown in colour; take out and spread in a plate, keep aside (to be used at the time of frying prawn and also 1 tablespoon for decorating the recipe).
Add whole garam masala, cumin, Bay Leaf and remains half quantity of Cashew Nuts in the same pan with left out ghee, allow it to sputter for few seconds.
Add other half chopped onion and Pandan Leaf; fry it on high flame for 2-3 minutes or till it gets light brown in colour, add prepared paste, continue to cook on medium flame for 2-3 minutes.
Add Salt, Turmeric powder, give a proper mix, add Prawn, continue to fry for 3-4 minutes on medium flame, add fried brown onion (keep 1 tablespoon for decoration), cook for couple of minutes.
Add rice, continue to fry on lower flame for couple of minutes until some rice change their colour; add hot water and garam masala powder. Place on high flame until it starts to boil, reduce to low flame, cook for 8-10 minutes (until rice is done), put off the flame.
After cooling, stir lightly the pulao with the help of fork; decorate with remaining one tablespoon fried onion and boiled eggs.
Mouth watering pulao is ready to be served with Curd/ Onion Raita and salad.